Award winning business leader, aviator, engineer and entrepreneur
Felicity Furey is an award winning inspirational speaker, entrepreneur and engineer passionate about diversity. As a founder of two social enterprises, Felicity has shifted the perception of engineering with thousands of young people and companies.
After realising the lack of diversity in engineering and wanting to make an impactful change, Felicity co-founded not-for-profit Power of Engineering. The organisation has now reached over 8,000 students across Australia through one day events and partnerships with industry and universities. 75% of students who were a ‘no’ to engineering before the day change their mind to a ‘yes’ after the event.
Wanting to make a bigger, long term impact, Felicity co-founded social enterprise Machinam, which engages and motivates students in high school maths. Machinam’s digital maths resource, In Real Life for year 9 and 10, connects what students are learning in maths class to the real world and authentically how they would use maths.
This work, along with her professional career, saw Felicity named as one of the Financial Review BOSS Magazine’s Young Executives of the Year in 2016 and named as one of Australia’s ‘100 Women of Influence’ at just 26 years old. Felicity has been featured on ABC News, Sky News, the Australian Financial Review and the Australian.
Felicity’s ten year corporate career includes working as a Senior Project Manager at innovative engineering consultancy Arup, Management Consultant at fortune 500 company AECOM and delivering a $45 million dollar transport infrastructure project portfolio for local communities with Brisbane City Council
Some of the Awards Felicity has received include:
– Superstar of STEM 2019 – 2020, Science and Technology Australia
– Innovative Engineer of 2018, Engineers Australia
– Young Executive of the Year 2016, Australian Financial Review BOSS Magazine
– Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence Winner 2014, QUT
– Young Achiever Award 2013, National Association of Women in Construction
– Finalist Outstanding Alumni Awards 2013, QUT
– Young Social Pioneer 2013, Foundation for Young Australians
– 100 Women of Influence 2012, Australian Financial Review and Westpac